The 2019 Clean Air Grants for school buses is now closed, please contact [email protected] to be added to our 2020 Clean Air Grants email notification list.
2019 Clean Air Grants for School Buses
Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District (District) has grant funds for diesel powered school bus replacements. The maximum grant fund shall not exceed $150,000 per project or 80% of the eligible cost reimbursement, whichever is less.
- Grant funds are limited and available on a first come, first served basis until all funds have been committed
- Projects that operate in a Low income Community as defined by AB 1550 will be prioritized for funding. The AB 1550 map can be viewed at arb.ca.gov/cc/capandtrade/auctionproceeds/communityinvestments.htm
- Projects that use zero emission technology will be prioritized for funding.
- The District may use discretion to distribute funds equitably throughout the county.
- School buses that are owned by a public school district.
- Applicants are limited to one school bus grant project per company.
- School buses proposed for replacement must be operating in-service at the time of application and operation must be demonstrated during a District pre-inspection.
- Funded vehicles must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles within Santa Barbara County for the past 24 months.
- Fleet must be compliant with all local, state, and federal air quality regulations and must not have any unresolved Notices of Violation.
- Replacement engines must be certified to 2010 emission standards or cleaner.
- School buses must meet the requirements of CARB’s Lower Emission School Bus Program.
How to Apply:
1. Determine your vehicle’s eligibility for this program. Please see CARB’s 2017 Carl Moyer Guidelines, Chapter 4 and the project criteria and requirements page for full details.
2. Gather the required information about your vehicle, engine, and replacement vehicle and engine.
3. Apply for grant funds in person, by mail, email, or online.
Please see application on the right for more information.
Application – School Buses
The application window is closed, please check back again next year.
- Download PDF application
- Complete online application
- Contact Alex Economou at (805) 961-8894 or [email protected]
This program is part of our 2019 Clean Air Grants Program funded by California Air Resources Board’s Carl Moyer Program, Community Air Protection Program, Funding Agricultural Replacement Measures for Emission Reductions Program (FARMER), and California Department of Motor Vehicles surcharge revenue. For more information, see 2019 Clean Air Grants.
Additional Funding Sources and Information for Cleaner On-Road Vehicles
Funding for hybrid and zero-emission trucks and buses, as well as low-NOx natural gas engines, is available through California’s Heavy-Duty Vehicle Incentive Program.