About the Permitted Facilities Map

Using the Map | Requesting More Information | FAQs | Learning More About the District | Other Maps | Contact Us

View the Permitted Facilities Map

The Permitted Facilities Map shows all of the facilities permitted and regulated by the District; these facilities are also known as stationary sources. The District’s permit jurisdiction area encompasses:

  • the unincorporated areas of Santa Barbara County;
  • the cities of Santa Maria, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Buellton, Solvang, Goleta, Santa Barbara, and Carpinteria;
  • the Channel Islands of San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, and Santa Barbara;
  • and offshore oil platforms.

In addition to the facilities, which are organized by type, the map shows District offices and air monitoring stations, and schools within Santa Barbara County.

Stationary sources are required to obtain a District permit before constructing, changing, replacing, or operating any equipment or process that may cause air pollution. Permits are also required if an existing facility that produces air pollution transfers ownership, relocates, or otherwise alters its operations. Permits allow the District to specify conditions of construction and operation, and to quantify and track emissions that have been permitted to occur. Stationary sources submit an Annual Report every year, which documents permit compliance for the previous year.

Using the Map

The default view of the map shows all of Santa Barbara County, with its boundaries outlined in red, and all of the stationary sources (including the offshore oil platforms and facilities on the Channel Islands) appearing, as noted by the checked box label Permitted Facilities on the left-hand menu. Each type of facility is noted by a distinct icon. To view individual facility types, un-check that box and check the box(es) of the preferred facility type(s). You can also check the boxes marked District Offices, Monitoring Sites, and Schools to see those locations in relation to facilities. You can zoom in and out of the map using your computer mouse.

There are two search options:

  • search by facility name or APN (Assessor’s Parcel Number)
  • use the “Facilities within” tool to enter an address and see all facilities within a chosen distance of that address

(Note: The map is updated on a daily basis.)

Requesting More Information

If you would like to view a permit or an annual report not accessible through the map, or if you would like further information about a facility beyond what is available through the map, you will need to make an official Public Records Act (PRA) request to the District. PRA requests must be made in writing or via email, and must describe the requested documents with sufficient detail (permit number, Facility ID or FID number, company name, street address, etc.) Find full instructions on submitting a PRA request. (Note: Except as required by law, the District does not provide access to confidential information, such as trade secrets.)


How do I read a permit? How do I read an annual report? How do I find information about a facility’s emissions?
All permits include the following: owner; operator; project description; detailed list of permitted devices; and monitoring, recordkeeping, and reporting requirements. Also included in all permits are operational restrictions (such as on fuel use or hours of operation), a permit evaluation analyzing compliance with rules and regulations, and a section detailing special conditions, which may vary by facility type. All annual reports typically provide usage and operational data, such as fuel use and analysis and hours of operation, for the previous calendar year.

In every permit is a summary of maximum permitted emissions levels. To find estimates of actual emissions for larger facilities, use the California Air Resources Board’s Facility Search tool. You will need the Facility ID (FID) number, found before the facility name on the map and also on the source’s permit.

What are the different types of permits?
Authority to Construct (ATC): The ATC permit allows for the construction of a new facility or installation as well as modification of equipment at an existing facility. The ATC ensures that the equipment is designed, constructed, and operated to meet local, state, and federal air quality requirements.

Source Compliance Demonstration Period (SCDP): After construction, installation, or modification that is done under an ATC, the SCDP allows for temporary operation for testing, calibration, debugging, and demonstration of compliance with the ATC’s requirements. Performance testing may also be required.

Permit to Operate (PTO): The PTO allows for ongoing operation of the facility in accordance with all permit conditions and local, state, and federal air quality requirements. Operating permits are valid for three years.

Reevaluation (Reeval): The PTO is “reevaluated” every three years (for most facility types), at which time monitoring, recordkeeping, and reporting requirements may be updated as necessary to ensure compliance.

Part 70: Part 70 Federal Operating Permits, also known as Title V permits, are federal operating permits for stationary sources that have the potential to annually emit 100 tons or more of any criteria pollutant. These permits are issued by the District under Title V of the federal Clean Air Act amendments of 1990.

Exempt: Stationary sources are typically exempt from permitting if annual emissions are less than one ton. Examples of facility types that may be exempt include wineries and small solvent sources.

Why do some facilities have an annual report dated 2015 or 2014? When will the 2016 reports be available? Why are some annual reports only available through a PRA request? 
Annual reports detail information for the previous calendar year. All annual reports available through the map are the most current reports available for each facility. Reports for 2016 will start becoming available in March 2017. Some annual reports may only be available through a PRA request due to the presence of confidential information that could need review before being released.

What is an uncategorized facility?
Uncategorized facilities are grouped together because they do not fit into other categories. Those facilities include mortuaries/crematoriums.

Do the schools include all public and private schools K-12? Are preschools included?
The schools shown include all public and private K-12 schools in Santa Barbara County. Preschools are not shown. To view preschools on the map, enter the address into the search bar for the “Facilities within” feature on the left-hand menu.

What does the Map Related APNs feature do? How do I return to the default view of the map after clicking the Map Related APN button?
An APN, short for an Assessor’s Parcel Number, is a number assigned by the County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor’s Office to an area of land. By clicking on the Map Related APNs button for a given facility, you can see what other entities may be nearby. To find a source by APN, enter the number (without dashes or spaces) and click the “Find” button.

Clicking on the APN for a facility will take you to the Clerk-Record-Assessor’s Office website, where you can find further information about the property.  To return to the default view of the map, click the “Reset” button on the left-hand menu, or refresh your browser.

Why does the map ask to track my location?
This feature allows you to see facilities that may be around a home or place of business. If you would prefer not to enable that feature, you can enter an address into the search bar for the “Facilities within” feature on the left-hand menu. To return to the default view of the map after allowing location tracking, click the “Reset” button on the left-hand menu.

Learning More About the District

Find more information on our Monitoring network.
Find more information on our Engineering permit process.
Find more information on our Compliance programs.
Find more information on Pollution and Health.
Find more information on News and Notices.
Learn more About Us.

Other Maps

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 9
California Air Resources Board

Contact Us

Please email questions or comments to [email protected].