Public Hearing on the Amendments to
Regulation VIII, New Source Review, and Other Associated Rules
Thursday, August 25, 2016, 1:00 p.m. or as soon thereafter as the matter can be heard
Board of Supervisors Hearing Room
105 East Anapamu Street
Santa Barbara, California 93101
General Project Description: The Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District (District) Board of Directors will hold a Public Hearing at the time and location listed above to accept comments and consider amending the following rules:
- Rule 102, Definitions;
- Rule 105, Applicability;
- Rule 202, Exemptions to Rule 201;
- Rule 204, Applications;
- Regulation VIII, New Source Review (NSR);
- New Rule 809, Federal Minor Source NSR; and
- Rule 1301, Part 70 Operating Permits – General Information.
These amendments are designed to update the District’s current New Source Review (NSR) permitting regulations to reflect recent regulatory mandates, and to simplify the permitting process while maintaining an equally stringent rule set. The NSR rules and proposed amendments only apply to criteria air pollutants. (Note that greenhouse gases are not criteria pollutants, therefore the proposed amendments have no applicability to greenhouse gases.) Changes include:
– Replacing the Net Emission Increase (NEI) calculation methodology with the Potential to Emit (PTE) methodology;
– Revising the offset thresholds, ratios, and calculations;
– Adding offset exemptions for equipment replacements and emergency standby engines;
– Adding PM2.5 (particulate matter less than 2.5 microns in diameter) to the attainment pollutant permitting requirements;
– Revising the Air Quality Impact Analysis procedures; and
– Creating new Rule 809, Federal Minor Source NSR, to address federal requirements.
Should the amendments be adopted, the rules will be submitted to the California Air Resources Board and the United States Environmental Protection Agency for inclusion in the State Implementation Plan.
Who is Affected? Owners of stationary sources of air pollution (business and industry sources) whose construction or modification triggers the requirement for a permit from the District.
Environmental Review: Potential environmental impacts associated with the proposed amendments were analyzed in an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) (State Clearinghouse No. 2015091030). The EIR’s certification and adoption of CEQA findings will be part of the rule adoption package for consideration by the Board.
Document Availability: Copies of the proposed rules, the associated Staff Report, and all supplementary material may be downloaded for review on this website on our Rules Under Development page and our News page. Hard copies will be made available upon request.
How to Comment: Please submit written comments to Timothy Mitro by email at [email protected] or by mail at Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District, 260 N. San Antonio Rd, Suite A, Santa Barbara, CA 93110. Written comments received by 5 p.m. on August 10, 2016 will be ensured consideration for the Public Hearing. Comments may also be submitted at any time prior to or during the hearing. If you have a question about the project, please contact Mr. Mitro at (805) 961-8883 or at the above email address.
to be published Sunday, July 24, 2016