2019 Clean Air Grants for On-Road Trucks and Buses
Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District (District) has funding opportunities for a variety of on-road vehicle replacement, repower, and expansion projects. Grant funds are calculated based on the amount of pollutant emissions the replacement project will reduce. For commercial trucks and buses, typical grant amounts cover 5% to 15% of the new vehicle cost.
- Grant funds are limited and available on a first come, first served basis until all funds have been committed
- Projects that operate in a Low income Community as defined by AB 1550 will be prioritized for funding. The AB 1550 map can be viewed at arb.ca.gov/cc/capandtrade/auctionproceeds/communityinvestments.htm
- Projects that use zero emission technology will be prioritized for funding.
- The District may use discretion to distribute funds equitably throughout the county.
- Light-duty commercial trucks and buses (14,001-26,000 GVWR) with engine model years 2007 to 2009 only
- Heavy-duty commercial trucks and buses (>26,001 GVWR) with engine model years 2005 to 2009 only
- Commercial trucks and buses currently operating under a CARB exemption (Low Mileage Exemption, NOx Area Exemption, Agricultural Vehicle Exemption etc.)
- Solid Waste Collection Vehicles
- Public Agency and Utility Vehicles
- Transit/Urban Buses
- Applicants are limited to one on-road vehicle grant project per company.
- Vehicles proposed for replacement must be operating in-service at the time of application and operation must be demonstrated during a District pre-inspection.
- Funded vehicles must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles within Santa Barbara County for the past 24 months.
- The owner’s entire fleet must be compliant with all CARB’s on-road regulations and pass a compliance check by CARB. The owner’s fleet must be registered in CARB’s Truck Regulation Upload, Compliance, and Reporting System (TRUCRS). For information on CARB’s on-road regulations please visit: ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/truckstop.htm
- More detailed and additional criteria can be found on the PDF application and in the CARB’s 2017 Carl Moyer Guidelines, Chapter 4: On-Road Equipment: www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/moyer/guidelines/2017gl/2017_gl_chapter_4.pdf
How to Apply:
1. Determine your vehicle’s eligibility for this program. Please see CARB’s 2017 Carl Moyer Guidelines, Chapter 4 and the project criteria and requirements page for full details.
2. Gather the required information about your vehicle, engine, and replacement vehicle and engine.
3. Apply for grant funds in person, by mail, email, or online.
Please see application on the right for more information.
Application – Trucks
Apply starting August 13, 2019
- Contact Emily Waddington at (805) 961-8878 or [email protected]
This program is part of our 2019 Clean Air Grants Program funded by California Air Resources Board’s Carl Moyer Program, Community Air Protection Program, Funding Agricultural Replacement Measures for Emission Reductions (FARMER) Program, and California Department of Motor Vehicles surcharge revenue. For more information, see 2019 Clean Air Grants.
Additional Funding Sources and Information for Cleaner On-Road Vehicles
Funding for hybrid and zero-emission trucks and buses, as well as low-NOx natural gas engines, is available through California’s Heavy-Duty Vehicle Incentive Program.