2021 Clean Air Grants for School Buses
Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District (District) has grant funds for diesel powered school bus replacements. Successful projects will be eligible to receive a grant within a range from $10,000 to $250,000, and not to exceed 80% of the total eligible project costs.
- Projects that operate in a Low income Community as defined by AB 1550 will be prioritized for funding. The AB 1550 map can be viewed at arb.ca.gov/cc/capandtrade/auctionproceeds/communityinvestments.htm
- Projects that use zero or near zero emission technology will be prioritized for funding.
- The District has final discretion on how grant funds are distributed.
- School buses that are owned by a public school district.
- Applications are limited to one grant project per school district with final determination at the District’s discretion.
- School buses proposed for replacement must be operating in-service at the time of application and operation must be demonstrated during a District pre-inspection.
- Funded vehicles must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles within Santa Barbara County for the last 24 months.
- Fleet must be compliant with all local, state, and federal air quality regulations and must not have any unresolved Notices of Violation.
- Replacement equipment must be a zero-emission bus or low NOx bus (with a CARB certified engine meeting emission levels of 0.10 g/bhp NOx or less).
- School buses must meet the requirements of CARB’s Lower Emission School Bus Program.
How to Apply:
1. Determine your vehicle’s eligibility for this program. Please see CARB’s 2017 Carl Moyer Guidelines, Chapter 4, Community Air Protection Project Guidelines, and the project criteria and requirements page for full details.
2. Gather the required information about your vehicle, engine, and replacement vehicle and engine.
3. Apply for grant funds in person, by mail, email, or online.
Please see application on the right for more information.
Program opens Monday, August 2, 2021
Program closes Friday, September 3, 2021
Contact Emily Waddington at (805) 961-8878 or [email protected]
This program is part of our 2021 Clean Air Grants Program funded by California Air Resources Board’s Carl Moyer Program, Community Air Protection Program, and Funding Agricultural Replacement Measures for Emission Reductions Program (FARMER). For more information, see 2021 Clean Air Grants.
Additional Funding Sources and Information for Cleaner On-Road Vehicles
Funding for hybrid and zero-emission trucks and buses, as well as low-NOx natural gas engines, is available through California’s Heavy-Duty Vehicle Incentive Program.