The application window for the Woodsmoke Reduction Program is now closed. To be added to our notification list to receive updates about a future program please contact us at [email protected]
This voluntary program is designed to help households replace an uncertified wood-burning stove, fireplace insert, or fireplace used as a primary source of heat with a cleaner burning and more efficient heating device. Last year our program replaced 55 wood-burning fireplaces or stoves. The current 2019/2020 program will offer vouchers toward the purchase and installation of a natural gas, propane, electric, or EPA-certified wood-burning or pellet-burning heating device.
Some households may qualify for the full replacement amount, an Enhanced Inventive Voucher, depending on the applicant’s location in a State-designated low-income area, the applicant’s participation in a federal or State low-income assistance program, or the applicant’s household income. Those who do not qualify for the Enhanced Incentive Voucher may qualify for the Standard Voucher. The vouchers can be applied to eligible costs only and are not to exceed the amounts shown below:
|Type of New Device:||Standard Voucher||Enhanced Incentive Voucher|
|Gas, Propane, or Electric Home Heating Device||up to $1,000||up to $5,000|
|EPA-Certified Wood or Pellet Heating Device||up to $500||up to $3,000|
The new heating device must be installed by a participating retailer or their licensed contractor and meet local fire and building codes. Do-it-yourself installations are not allowed under this program.
How to Participate
- Read the Eligibility Requirements and confirm eligibility.
- Complete the Voucher Application including photographs of the current heater, proof of low-income (if applicable), and the Owner Tenant Agreement (if applicable).
- Send completed forms to the District by email at [email protected], or mail or drop off in person to: Woodsmoke Reduction Program, Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District, 260 N. San Antonio Road, Suite A, Santa Barbara, CA 93110.
- After we review your application, you will receive a voucher to be used with a Participating Retailer within four (4) weeks from issuance. Do not begin work until you receive the voucher!
- Vouchers will be accepted by Participating Retailers at the time of sale and applied as a discount. A Building Permit or comparable permit for your jurisdiction is required for each installation. Installation must be completed within 90 days of purchase.
Please contact us at (805) 961-8848 or at [email protected] with any questions you may have.
|Eligibility Requirements||Voucher Application||Participating Retailers||Owner Tenant Agreement (renters only)|
More Program Information
|Informational Flyer||Building Permit Information||Mobile and Manufactured Home Information|
The Woodsmoke Reduction Program is a part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts cap-and-trade dollars to work.