Diesel Engine Rules – Implementing SB 700

Introduction | Permit Forms | Diesel Engine Rules | DefinitionsFrequently Asked Questions

Rules Covering Diesel Engines Used for Irrigation and Crop Protection

Stationary engines New stationary engines greater than 50 horsepower (hp) must meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) off-road emission standards, which are “tiered” according to purchase year. New agricultural engines are currently subject to the Tier II standard. Engines of greater than 175 hp will be subject to the more stringent Tier III standard in 2006.

Portable engines In general, portable engines are engines that can be moved to different locations but do not actually propel a piece of equipment. Starting in the year 2010, most portable engines greater than 50 hp statewide must be certified to meet an EPA off-road emission standard. An exception is allowed for emergency standby and low-use (less than 80 hours per year) engines if the owner commits to replacement with a Tier IV engine within two years of that engine’s availability, currently projected for 2011.

Permit requirements Stationary and portable engines are required to have permits if located at an agricultural source requiring permits under SB 700. A portable engine that does not remain within the boundaries of an agricultural stationary source for more than twelve consecutive months may qualify for the alternative below. Also, portable engines that remain within the boundaries of an agricultural stationary source (that is subject to SB 700 permit) for more than twelve consecutive months but are not essential to agricultural production may qualify for the alternative below:

Alternative to Permitting for Portable Engines The California Air Resources Board (CARB) implements a Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP). The main intent of this program is to provide a uniform statewide registration system to allow portable diesel engines to move between air districts without requiring permits in each district — making it easier to move an engine from farm to farm. Also, PERP registration fees are currently much less than fees for District permits. However, existing agricultural engines will only be allowed to enter the PERP program from September 1, 2005 through December 31, 2005. Starting in 2006, all engines entering the PERP will need to meet new engine emission standards. For more information see www.arb.ca.gov/perp/perp.htm.

Engines or Boilers Used for Purposes Other than Irrigation or Crop Protection Stationary engines greater than 50 hp that are not used for water pumping or crop protection most likely require a District permit; these include all diesel generators (standby power included) and prime use engines regardless of fuel type. A District permit is also required for boilers rated 5.0 MMBtu/hr or higher (based on heat input).

air pollution control district logo

New Phone Numbers
The District has new direct lines for all staff, as well as for all of our phone lines, including our main phone number and Complaints line. You can find our new phone numbers on this webpage.

Nuevos números de teléfono
El Distrito tiene nuevos números de teléfono para comunicarse con el personal directamente, así como también para todas nuestras líneas telefónicas, incluyendo nuestro número principal y el de las Quejas. Puede encontrar nuestros nuevos números de teléfono en esta página web.