On January 9, 2008, the EPA adopted National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Paint Stripping and Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations at Area Sources (Subpart HHHHHH). This regulation applies to auto body shops as well as businesses that spray-apply coatings to metal or plastic, or use methylene chloride (MeCl) to do paint stripping. This webpage provides information about this federal regulation. Here is the federal regulation:
- New and Existing Sources Must Comply Now. All new sources that startup on or after January 9, 2008 are required to comply with the federal regulation upon startup. All existing sources had a compliance date of January 10, 2011. All sources must now be in compliance with this regulation.
- Initial Notification Past Due. All existing sources subject to the federal regulation were required to submit an Initial Notification directly to the USEPA or to the Santa Barbara County APCD by no later than January 11, 2010. If you own or operate an affected source and did not submit an Initial Notification by January 11, 2010, your letter is now overdue. New sources have 180 days after startup to submit an Initial Notification letter. An example Initial Notification letter is available.
- Certification of Compliance Past Due. If you are an existing source and did not submit a Certification of Compliance along with your Initial Notification letter, a Notification of Compliance Status letter certifying compliance with the relevant requirements of this subpart was due by March 11, 2011. If you own or operate an affected source and did not submit a Certification of Compliance by March 11, 2011, your letter is now overdue. An example Notification of Compliance Status is available.
- 06/22/10: EPA exemption approval letters are now available here.
- 04/26/09: Manufacturer list of products containing HAPs subject to NESHAP HHHHHH are now available in the Reference Material section of this page.
- 12/17/09: APCD informational mailing sent out. To see a copy of the letter click here.
- 01/09/08: NESHAP: Paint Stripping and Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations at Area Sources final rule is adopted. Existing units are required to submit an Initial Notification to the USEPA by January 11, 2010.
- National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Paint Stripping and Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations at Area Sources final regulation.
- Summary of Regulations Controlling Air Emissions from Paint Stripping and Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations. This brochure contains important information about the regulation including who it applies to and its requirements.
- Example Initial Notification letter.
- Example Petition for Exemption letter.
- Example Notification of Compliance Status letter.
- APCD informational mailing.
- List of products containing HAPs subject to NESHAP HHHHHH:
- Exemption Approval Letters.
This federal regulation is implemented locally by the Santa Barbara County APCD. For more information about this rule, please call David Harris at (805) 961-8824. If you would like to contact the EPA regarding this regulation, please call or email Periann Wood at (415) 947-4138 or Joe Westersund at (415) 972-3841 at USEPA Region 9.
Correspondence can be sent to the address below.Santa Barbara County APCD 260 N. San Antonio Rd, Suite A Santa Barbara, CA 93110-1315