Types of Burning | Burn Day | Rules & Regulations | Permit Burning | Prescribed Burning | About Smoke & Health
- The practice of using fire to dispose of unwanted materials, modify natural habitats, and to provide heat energy for warmth and cooking
- Regulated by the Air Pollution Control District (APCD) and the Fire Department
- The APCD addresses air quality and the Fire Department regulations address public safety
- Open burning, even when conducted in accordance with all regulations and best management practices, has the potential to degrade air quality, cause a public nuisance, and affect health
- Burning waste of any kind in an open fire is prohibited, except 1) to dispose of waste produced by commercial agricultural operations, which must be done under strict conditions, and 2) backyard burning of plant trimmings and leaves allowed in specific areas by permit and under strict conditions.
Types of Burning Regulated by the APCD
Other Types of Burning