Business Assistance Line


Below are a sample of questions that have been asked on our Business Assistance Line. The questions cover a broad range of topics and show the types of questions the Business Assistance Line is designed to handle. The Business Assistance Line, (805) 961-8868, is a component of the APCD’s Business Assistance Program, and is an excellent resource for getting quick answers to your permit-related or other APCD questions.

If have additional questions you’d like to see posted here, please e-mail [email protected] or, or call the Business Assistance Line at (805) 961-8868.

Title V, Cabinet Making

Q: Are cabinet making/coating business subject to Title V requirements?

A: The Title V thresholds typically preclude all but the very largest of businesses. Title V requirements apply to businesses emitting: 10 tons per year of any hazardous air pollutant (e.g., xylene); 25 tons per year of any combination of hazardous air pollutants; or 100 tons per year of any criteria pollutant (ROCs, NOx, SOx, PM-10, CO).

There are, however, some instances where a medium sized business may be subject to Title V because they exceed throughput limits (gallons per year) on hazardous air pollutants through the use of solvents such as xylene. Specific questions or concerns regarding the Title V Permit Program should be directed to Ben Ellenberger at (805) 961-8879.

Exemptions, Nail salon

Q: I operate a nail salon. Do I need a permit from the APCD?

A: No, the APCD does not require a permit.


Q: I have a client who wants to relocate in Santa Maria. She wants to make sure that coatings used in her aerospace coating operations are in compliance with our Rules. She also wants to know if the APCD grants variances for specific products.

A: The APCD regulates aerospace coatings through Rule 337 (Surface Coating of Aircraft or Aerospace Vehicle Parts and Products). This rule sets ROC limits for specific coatings and requires the use of high-transfer efficiency (65 percent or greater) application equipment. Under the Exemptions section of the rule, the ROC limits do not apply to any coatings with separate formulations used in volumes of less than 20 gallons per year provided that the total volume of non-complying coatings used at the source does not exceed 200 gallons annually. Variances may be granted if the appropriate findings can be made by the APCD Hearing Board.  {NOTE:  The USEPA recently disapproved the APCD Rule 330 based on the same 20 gallons per year and 200 gallons total per year exemptions.  Therefore, it is likely that EPA will also reject Rule 337 and require the APCD to revise the 200 gallon exemption to 55 gallons annually}

Access to APCD Files

Q: My company has been hired to do an environmental assessment of XYZ Company. What is the procedure to review and copy file materials?

A: All the information about submitting requests to view public files is on this page.

Exemptions, Golf Course

Q: I operate a golf course and we have a gasoline tank and dispenser. Am I exempt from the APCD rules due to an agricultural exemption? If not, then what are the requirements.

A: Golf course operations do not qualify for an agricultural exemption. If the tank is larger than 250 gallons, a permit and emission controls are required pursuant to APCD Rule 316 – Storage and Transfer of Gasoline. This rule requires the installation and operation of state-certified Phase I and Phase II vapor recovery systems.

Exemptions, Santa Maria-Style Barbecue

Q: We would like to open deli featuring a Santa Maria-style barbecue. Does the APCD require permits for this?

A: The APCD does not require a permit. However, please be aware that smoke from barbecues has the potential for creating a public nuisance. We have had complaints in past for this type of operation.

Stratospheric Ozone Depleters

Q: Does the APCD have any requirements regarding Freon 134A?

A: Stratospheric ozone depleters like freon and other CFC’s are regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). There are no local requirements. You may call the EPA’s ozone hot-line (800-296-1996) or webpage at for further information on ozone depleting compounds and their regulations.

Change of Ownership

Q: My company is planning on buying another company in Lompoc that has an APCD permit. How do we get the permit transferred?

A: To change the ownership of a company, all you need to do is submit an application using APCD Form-01T prior to or within 30-days of the purchase. See fees for the most up to date fees or call the APCD at 961-8800 and ask for the permitting section. The APCD will notify by letter that the request has been received. Your company will be required to assume all responsibility for complying with the terms and conditions of the permit.

Exemptions, Fish Smoking Business

Q: We want to start a fish smoking business and intend to use a commercial smoker that cooks and smokes under restaurant-type hoods with fans with hard wood chunks or chips as fuel. Is a permit required?

A: No permit is required. However, you will still be subject to two specific APCD rules. Rule 302 (Visible Emissions) limits the amount of smoke that can be released from the stack and Rule 303 (Nuisance) deals with the potential for causing a public nuisance to the surrounding neighborhood.

For more information or assistance, call the Business Assistance Line at (805) 961-8868, or the Engineering Division (805) 961-8800, or e-mail.

air pollution control district logo

New Phone Numbers
The District has new direct lines for all staff, as well as for all of our phone lines, including our main phone number and Complaints line. You can find our new phone numbers on this webpage.

Nuevos números de teléfono
El Distrito tiene nuevos números de teléfono para comunicarse con el personal directamente, así como también para todas nuestras líneas telefónicas, incluyendo nuestro número principal y el de las Quejas. Puede encontrar nuestros nuevos números de teléfono en esta página web.