This webpage provides a portal to important information that will assist you in complying with the Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District’s requirements for spark ignited internal combustion engines. If you have a diesel fired engine, see the APCD’s Diesel Engine Webpage. If you have an agricultural diesel engine, see the APCD’s AG Engine Webpage. These rules apply to spark ignited internal combustion engines:
- Rule 333. Applies to any engine with a rated brake horsepower of 50 or greater. Revised June 19, 2008.
- Rule 202. Revised June 19, 2008.
On June 19, 2008, the APCD Board adopted revisions to Rule 333 as well as revisions to Rule 102, Rule 201, and Rule 202. This rule making action has immediate impacts for de-rated engines, certain types of portable construction equipment, including air compressors, generators, concrete pumps, abrasive lasting equipment, pile drivers, welders, cranes, and construction drill rigs.
- 07/17/17: Updated Excel Calculation Spreadsheet: Spark Ignited ICE
- 11/18/14: Updated the Spark-Ignited Combustion Engine (SPICE) Excel Calculation Spreadsheet: SPICEspreadsheet.xls
- 02/13/09: De-Rating of Natural Gas Engines Used in Oil Fields
- 09/04/08: New Rule 333 Implementation FAQ.
- 09/02/08: Revised Rule 333 Inspection and Maintenance Plan Guidelines available for download.
- 08/15/08: New Rule 333 Compliance Plan Guidelines available for download .
- 07/15/08: Updated Application Form -70 is now available (for spark ignited internal combustion engines subject to Rule 333).
- 06/19/08: Revised APCD Rule 333 is adopted.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
- Application Form -70 for Spark Ignited Internal Combustion Engines
- APCD General Permit Application Form -01
- Authorized Agent Form -01A
- Rule 333 Compliance Plan Guidelines – Updated August 29, 2008
- Rule 333 Inspection and Maintenance Plan Guidelines (ver. 3.0) – Updated September 2, 2008
- Compliance Plan for Rich Burn Non-Cyclically Loaded Spark Ignition Engines
- Compliance Plan for Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engines 50-100 bhp
- Compliance Plan for Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engines Greater Than 100 bhp
- Compliance Plan for Rich Burn Cyclically Loaded Spark Ignition Engines
- Compliance Plan for Compression Ignition and Dual-Fuel Engines
- APCD Emissions Factors for spark ignited internal combustion engines
- Santa Barbara County APCD Piston IC Engine Technical Reference Document
- Spark Ignited Internal Combustion Engine Emission Factor Calculation Spreadsheet
Please note that application forms (such as Form -01) are also available for download at Download Permit Application Forms.
For more information or assistance, call or email David Harris at (805) 961-8824 or [email protected].
Return to Engineering Programs